Thursday, January 14, 2010

Chicken Teriyaki Crock Pot Recipe

I have owned a crock pot forever but never really used it. Now I have this sudden urge to make everything in it. I am seriously obsessed! I surf the internet all morning look for something I could make in my crock pot using what I have in the house.

So the other morning, after craving Chicken Teriyaki, I realized I did not have any Teriyaki sauce! So I decided to make my own! I read threw some recipes and put together my own... so here it is!


Chicken Teriyaki with Home-Made Teriyaki Sauce (Slow Cooker Recipe)

Chicken
1 1/2 - 2lbs chicken breast, cubed (or you can cut the breasts in halves)

Sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 cups water
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
10 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup cold water (keep seperate from the other water)

For the Sauce: Mix all the ingredients together in a sauce pot except for the 1/2 cup of cold water and the 4 tablespoons of cornstarch. Start to heat up and stir occasionally.

In a seperate container, mix the cold water and the cornstarch until the constarch is completely disolved.

Add the cornstarch mixture to the rest of the ingredients in the sauce pan. Stir until desired thickness. If you over-thicken, just add water until desired consistancy!


For the Crock Pot: After cutting up the chicken into 1 inch by 1 inch cubes, or in halves, which ever you prefere, place into the crock pot. Pour Teriyaki Sauce into the crock pot and mix the chicken around until complete covered. Cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 7-8 hours.

This is so yummy! The picture above is what I created that evening, I chose a side of broccoli (I actually cooked it in some of the terriyaki sauce in the crockpot once the chicken was done), and a cup of rice.

A warning though, if you put any left over sauce in the fridge, it gets gooey and clumpy. I don't know if you are able to re-heat it to make it smooth again but I am wondering if maybe using flour instead of the cornstarch would change that? If anyone experiments with it, let me know!

1 comment: